Canopy in the Community
As a aerial arts center, Canopy Studio’s most important goal is to enrich the culture of our community and the lives of individuals through flying dance trapeze, movement education and performance arts. Canopy is a resource for local artists and all individuals, regardless of background, age, or physical ability, providing instruction in movement arts and a much-needed venue for viewing and participating in dance experiences. Most importantly, we seek to reach out to diverse populations within our community. We have several scholarships available upon request and often donate our weekend hours to hosting workshops, classes, or performances in an outreach capacity.
Canopy’s work in the community is everywhere!!
Here are just a few highlights from our year end review:
- 2016 Pinewoods Community SaturdayOutreach Class
- Spring and Fall 2016 After-School Program with Chase Street Elementary: 12 weeks, 12 kids each session
- Summer 2016 DIVE (formerly Summer Explorers) and CCSD: 8 workshops
- Summer 2016 Open Hearts: every Fridayfor 8 weeks, 10 kids
- FTGUS: 25 kids, three teachers
- Fowler Drive, Whit Davis, and Gaines School ad Barnett Shoals ESOL and AU field trips
- South Jackson autism class field trip
- Teens in Action, ACC Leisure Services
- ESP field trip and show: 5 performers, 3 community volunteers, 3 staff all donated their time
- Pinewoods Children’s Day and LatinoFest Celebration
- Oconee County Library, acro performance and instruction
- West Broad Market, North Athens First Friday, HillFest and Wild Rumpus Performances!
Canopy will be applying for additional grant funding. Stay tuned for our progress and upcoming plans.